Accounting is a degree plus more at Chester

Our highly regarded Accounting and Finance degrees, ranked 14th in the country in the latest Guardian league tables, can help pave the way for a successful career as a highly employable professionally qualified accountant. In this short blog, we take a closer look at how our Accounting and Finance degree helped one of our graduates find a job at one of the top banks at Chester’s local business park.

Phillip Edwards, aged 21 from Tranmere, on the Wirral, was delighted to be the highest performing student on the course, gaining an award from Ellis accounting in Chester and coming away with a First Class Honours degree. On graduating he was invited to interview by Bank of America without even having to apply, highlighting the quality of our graduates. 

"My job title will be Product Control Analyst at Bank of America and I will be based in Chester. I graduated in November with a First Class degree and was contacted by them early December. I attended an assessment centre and received a job offer shortly before Christmas. I'm looking forward to starting as it will be a challenging environment, but it will also allow me to develop greatly.

"The exemptions in the course essentially cut the exams needed in half and therefore are a great help when entering the process of studying to become a chartered accountant. I'm looking to qualify with either ACCA or ICAEW, however I'm not sure which body I will be going with yet.

"If I were to describe how the course helped me get the job, I would say that it taught me the technical skills, knowledge and mindset needed in finance today and more importantly, how to apply it all to real life circumstances, as well as giving me exam exemptions to develop qualifications further on.

"It also gave me workplace experience and introduced me to the scenarios occurring within the current financial environment. This helps prove to potential employers that you are not just capable, but actually interested in the subject."

During your time studying Accounting and Finance at the University of Chester, you also have the opportunity to meet with professionals who work within the industry. For instance Lloyds Bank Commercial Banking recently gave advice to our students on how to seek out their first role.

Our Accounting and Finance degree now has a panel of top global business leaders supporting it with its new Professional Faculty for Banking, Accounting and Finance. The panel, from Handelsbanken; Virgin Money; RSM UK; Santander; MBNA, M&S Bank; Ellis and Co; Bank of America Merrill Lynch; and KPMG, will help shape the curriculum to ensure that future workforce development needs are met. 

Want to know more?

Take a look at our Accounting and Finance courses on our website and to find out what it's like being a student at the University of Chester, check out #MyChesterStory on social media. 

Visit us

To find out more about living and studying at the University of Chester, why not come and visit? There are lots of ways to visit us – just take a look at our website. 

If you have already applied and received an offer, don’t forget to book on to one of our Applicant Days – this is a great opportunity to find out more about the course, explore the Queen’s Park Campus, and get your questions answered.

Book now