Achieve more with an MBA from Chester

We had a chat with James Parry, one of our MBA (Master of Business Administration) Part-Time students. James is currently working as Liverpool Site Manager for Domino Printing Sciences and undertaking his MBA alongside his job. 

When I finished my degree 20 years ago, I promised myself I’d never, ever study academically again. The experience of a continuous cycle of lectures, learning, revising, sitting exams, disappointment and starting again, was something I didn’t want to repeat anytime soon. I have had a long and diverse working history since my degree, finally ending up in an organisation I love working for, who are great investors in their people. After being promoted into a new role, it was obvious I needed to develop myself to provide the benefit and value to myself and my employers.

Balancing Work, Study and Family Life

When the company asked me if I wanted to undertake an MBA, my initial thought was: “Of course not!”. But the Chester MBA fits around my life and my work, meeting my needs, and my organisations’ need for highly qualified and experienced senior managers. I have a young family, and as anybody in the same boat knows, this can be demanding enough. I have found that despite the trepidation I had about the workload, the day release and classroom-based teaching have given me the confidence to take on and enjoy the challenges.

My MBA Experience

So far, at the end of the first semester, we have completed the leadership and marketing modules. Both have challenged my understanding in different ways, giving me food for thought and learnings that I have already and will continue to take back to the workplace and make good use of. Although I would hate to admit it to Tom (our module leader), marketing especially has taken me on a journey. It has challenged my beliefs and given me a revised and refreshed outlook. Believe it or not, I'm looking forward to the finance modules!

An Incredible Opportunity

What do I want to get from this course? What I have learnt, even at this early stage, is that when I complete this qualification, I will have the skills, tools and credibility to be the best that I can be. If you have the same doubt that I did when I contacted Chester, be brave and take the opportunity to meet and learn with like-minded people in an excellent facility.

Want to Know More?

Take a look at our MBA course on our website – or for an informal chat please phone our MBA Director Dr.Tom Williams, who will be happy to answer your questions: 01244 513116, williams.t@chester.ac.uk

Visit Us

We have excellent facilities here at our Business School – why not come and have a tour round, find out more about the course and get your questions answered? 

Please email our MBA Director Dr.Tom Williams to arrange a visit: williams.t@chester.ac.uk

Join our MBA Group

You can also join our LinkedIn group and connect with current students, staff and graduates of the Chester MBA: University of Chester MBA Group