Ayfer’s Overseas Learning Adventure in China

As part of my Experiental Overseas Learning placement, I was able to choose to either work in the UK or abroad depending on the type of industry that I was interested in. As a Law with Business student, I wanted the experience of working in a law firm to build my skills in the real world. 

It’s fair to say that the placement in China would be a tremendous achievement to put on my CV, as experience is vital when employers review your application. There were multiple extracurricular opportunities abroad and I thought that I would go the extra mile and have an adventure at the same time! And that's exactly what I did. 

It sounded scary at first and I couldn't believe that I was actually doing it until I got on the flight to Beijing. I got given the opportunity to work in a well-respected law firm in China and stayed in a luxurious apartment that had the most amazing views and was only one mile away from work. 

China allowed me to develop in an amazing way and I now know how far I can push myself with work. I found a new courage, which I never knew I had before. Being in a completely different country where I didn't know any of the language spoken there, I was completely out of my comfort zone.

I met the most amazing people, went on breathtaking trips and realised what I actually want to do in the future. I was previously unsure about which part of law I wanted to go into, but after the placement, I was 100% sure. 

I was involved in real scenarios and meetings on high class multimillion dollar cases. It was very fascinating and eye opening. I went to work every morning with a smile on my face because work was actually awesome. The people respect you so much, you learn a variety of things including their language and culture, and you meet people from all over the world and establish a network full of contacts that can help you in the future. 

I have made really awesome friends, who I'm in contact with still nearly every day. With the support of the University you are actually never left alone. If you have a problem or even if you want to share how your day is going, a group of people from the University are there to help, which was very comforting. I don't think I can put a lot of my experiences into words as you need to live it for yourself.

My main outcome from the trip was that I was offered a position at the law firm after graduation as they are looking at partnerships with the UK.

It just depends on how far you're prepared to go to improve yourself as a person and your career opportunities, because I was definitely given the chance to challenge myself and I highly recommend it. 

Want to know more?

Contact studyabroad@chester.ac.uk if you’re interested in taking part in Experiential Overseas Learning, and you can enjoy an adventure just like Ayfer's!

Visit Us

If you’d like to come and visit the University of Chester, there are plenty of ways to do it. If you have already applied, then we encourage you to visit on one of our Applicant Days. We also host Campus Tours and Open Days throughout the year. Book your place online, or get in touch with us to arrange a visit.

Book your visit

T: 01244 512800 E: visitus@chester.ac.uk