Ayfer’s Overseas Learning Adventure in China

As part of my Experiental Overseas Learning placement, I was able to choose to either work in the UK or abroad depending on the type of industry that I was interested in. As a Law with Business student, I wanted the experience of working in a law firm to build my skills in the real world. 

It’s fair to say that the placement in China would be a tremendous achievement to put on my CV, as experience is vital when employers review your application. There were multiple extracurricular opportunities abroad and I thought that I would go the extra mile and have an adventure at the same time! And that's exactly what I did. 

It sounded scary at first and I couldn't believe that I was actually doing it until I got on the flight to Beijing. I got given the opportunity to work in a well-respected law firm in China and stayed in a luxurious apartment that had the most amazing views and was only one mile away from work. 

China allowed me to develop in an amazing way and I now know how far I can push myself with work. I found a new courage, which I never knew I had before. Being in a completely different country where I didn't know any of the language spoken there, I was completely out of my comfort zone.

I met the most amazing people, went on breathtaking trips and realised what I actually want to do in the future. I was previously unsure about which part of law I wanted to go into, but after the placement, I was 100% sure. 

I was involved in real scenarios and meetings on high class multimillion dollar cases. It was very fascinating and eye opening. I went to work every morning with a smile on my face because work was actually awesome. The people respect you so much, you learn a variety of things including their language and culture, and you meet people from all over the world and establish a network full of contacts that can help you in the future. 

I have made really awesome friends, who I'm in contact with still nearly every day. With the support of the University you are actually never left alone. If you have a problem or even if you want to share how your day is going, a group of people from the University are there to help, which was very comforting. I don't think I can put a lot of my experiences into words as you need to live it for yourself.

My main outcome from the trip was that I was offered a position at the law firm after graduation as they are looking at partnerships with the UK.

It just depends on how far you're prepared to go to improve yourself as a person and your career opportunities, because I was definitely given the chance to challenge myself and I highly recommend it. 

Want to know more?

Contact studyabroad@chester.ac.uk if you’re interested in taking part in Experiential Overseas Learning, and you can enjoy an adventure just like Ayfer's!