Our BA (Hons) Media degree is an engaging cross-discipline programme, based at the University’s Warrington Campus, that enables you to ‘build-your-own’ degree based on your own aspirations and interests. Alongside Radio Production, Television Production, Journalism and Media Studies, you can choose to study from the areas of Advertising, Digital Photography, Film Studies and Commercial Music Production. We’ve picked out just some of the highlights of a jam packed year to give you a taste of what it is like to study Media at Chester, but if you want to see the campus and facilities for yourself, and you currently hold an offer of a place at Chester, you can book onto one of our forthcoming Applicant Days now.
Inside the Creative Industries
Every year, the Department of Media hold an annual conference called ‘Inside the Creative Industries’, giving current students and graduates the opportunity to gain an insight into this fast-paced sector and experience life in the creative industries. Recent highlights from this event have included the following high-profile speakers sharing their knowledge and expertise with our students.
- Advertising experts Brian Minards, Tim Sharp and Ali Vermilio revealed the inside story of the advertising and branding industries.
- Professional photographers, Tim Wallace and Helen Hann, revealed the creative and business secrets of life behind the lens.
- Asta Philpot, star of the BBC documentary ‘For One Night Only’ and executive producer of the award-winning film ‘Come As You Are’ (originally ‘Hasta La Vista’), gave an informative and inspiring perspective of his experiences in the sector.
- TV producer and director Ged Clarke talked about the process of making his BBC film Hidden Paintings.
- John Longbottom, a former student of the University and online editor for Kerrang!, visited the Department of Media to talk about his successful career to date.
Taken to court
As part of November’s Student Development Week, which is a week-long break from lectures that enables students to develop and enhance various skills sets, Journalism students visited the courtrooms of Chester and Warrington to experience their first taste of court reporting. This gave students the opportunity to broaden their knowledge at the same time as experiencing some of the challenges faced by professional journalists when covering court cases.
Our students and graduates regularly gain recognition for the quality of their work. This is testament not only of our students’ hard work, but also of the high standard of teaching that takes place across all our media courses. Here are just a few recent examples.
- A group of Radio students were recently awarded silver in the Best Chart Show category of the 2014 Student Radio Awards, as well as the Best Easter Programme at this year's prestigious Jerusalem awards.
- A recent Drumsound & Bassline Smith single features a remix by Lauren L'Aimant, a recent Commercial Music Production graduate.
- A film co-produced by a former student of the University has won the Royal Television Society (Midlands) Award for Best Factual Programme 2014.
Facing the music
Record producer, Russell Cottier, recently visited the Warrington Campus to speak with students from across the Department of Media. A resident producer for the Grammy Award winning Parr Street Studios in Liverpool, Russell also writes for the music industry magazine Resolution. Russell was able to talk to students about his own experiences of the music industry and discussed a broad range of industry related topics.
Talks from industry professionals, along with field trips, give students the opportunity to gain a real insight into the industry. Very recently, the Music Production students gained experience of recording a church organ, first built in 1876, as part of one of the field-trip activities.
Visit us on an Applicant Day
If this blog has whetted your appetite for studying Media at the University of Chester, you can visit the Warrington Campus and meet the team behind this fantastic course. If you currently hold an offer with the University of Chester, book your place now at one of our forthcoming Applicant Days. In the meantime, if you have any queries about the course, then please get in touch with the Programme Leader, Russell Dyson, at email@example.com or call 01925 534308.