Meet Our Digital Ambassadors

At the University of Chester we have over 200 active Student Ambassadors who volunteer at our events. These ambassadors live and study on campus and each ambassador has a different view point on what makes their university experience great for them. Their main roles at any event is to ensure visitors get a real idea of what it’s like to be a University of Chester Student, showing our visitors around and making every visit to our beautiful campuses unique.

We wanted to bring this information and different viewpoints on to our blog, and as such we have just recruited our first wave of Digital Ambassadors. If you’re a regular reader of our blog, or just a casual scanner, you’ll start to see more content coming direct from the students themselves. So let’s introduce the team:

Why did you decide to study at Chester?

I visited Chester city before I saw the University and immediately fell in love with it. I loved the shops, the friendly people and the entire atmosphere.

Once on the campus I realised that I loved the community vibe that Chester has. I really liked that the university accommodation was more like little houses that seemed more homely than traditional university halls.

I already knew I liked the course content for the English Language course at Chester, but I didn’t expect the seminars to be as small as they are. They are really friendly and have more of a vibe of hanging out with friends over coffee while discussing English Language.

Speaking to the lecturers and tutors on the Open Day just cemented the idea that Chester was where I wanted to study.

What is your most memorable moment at Chester?

It is difficult to pin a single memorable moment as there have been so many during my time at Chester. I suppose the most memorable would be the moment when I found out that I’ll be flying off to Canada to study psychology abroad for my third year. If you don’t know already Chester is one of the only Universities that is part of the International Student Exchange Program (ISEP) which gives you the opportunity to study almost anywhere in the world dead cheap!

The application process is very competitive and they have had an excessive number of applications this year which made success even harder. Despite the odds I got in and will be going to study at Brock University in Canada which is about 15 minutes from Niagara Falls. 

What’s your advice for students thinking about studying at Chester?

My advice for future students would be to attend an Open Day! These will give you a real insight into the University of Chester.

You can view the campuses and the different types of accommodation you could find yourself living in. The best thing about Open Days would be meeting the lecturers and current students. They can give you advice and answer any questions from both an academic and student perspective which is really helpful.

What do you like about being a student at Chester?

There’s just so much to do! Outside of university work, there’s so many sports and societies to join. I am part of the Chester University Psychology Society (CUPS) and its great fun.

I also really like how the lecturers really get to know you as students and treat you like a person rather than a number in the lecture hall.

I love the freedom I have - being over five hours commute from my home town, I have so much more independence. My parents can’t surprise me with a visit, which is fab!!

What’s your favourite memory of Chester so far?

My most memorable moment at Chester is definitely meeting the friends I have at Uni. I have friends from my course and from my halls. They are some of the funniest and kindest people I have met and I am so glad I can call them my pals!

We spend a lot of time in our halls relaxing and playing games in the corridor. It sounds silly, but these small memories are ones that I won’t forget.

What is your advice for students thinking about studying at Chester?

I think the most you can do is try to make an educated decision about what is best for you; research, visit and ask questions, but in the end it is you that is going to spend 3 years here - not your parents, not your teachers and not your friends.  
Another thing I think is important is to never stop trying -it can be difficult moving away from home and going to a brand new place, and learning how to function completely on your own. 

But the great thing about university is that this is a safe place where you get to learn a little bit more about who you want to be; so try things out – join a society, make friends, have fun, and get the most you can out of your time at uni.

Tell us a bit about you?

I am 21 years old and take part in a number of sporting activities including Kung fu, badminton and was part of the University Officer Training Core (UOTC).

They have all allowed me to boost my confidence and get fit at the same time! The clubs and societies also give me responsibilities outside of my studies, giving me a chance to let my hair down and try something new.

I also have a part-time job alongside my studies. This has enabled me to fill my time in-between my studies and sports.

What’s your advice for students thinking of studying at Chester?

My advice for students thinking of studying at Chester is to make the most of the time you have at University. Chester is a great place to study and live, so take all the opportunities you can and get involved.

Don’t be afraid to talk to new people and jump into new activates with both feet!

Visit Us

If you’d like to come and visit the University of Chester, there are plenty of ways to do it, from Open Days to campus tours.

T: 01244 511000 E: visitus@chester.ac.uk

Book Now