Making the Clearing phone call is perhaps your biggest obstacle when it comes to securing a place at university, but don’t panic! To help make your experience as stress-free as possible, take a look at our following tips:
- Know your UCAS Clearing number: The clearing advisor will need this in order to view your application so, before you call up, login to UCAS Track and jot down the number.
- Have a copy of your personal statement to hand: Some Clearing calls are quick and easy, but others can be a little more complicated and you could find yourself being questioned about your suitability for the course. So think of your Clearing phone call as a job interview where you’ll need to sell yourself. Your personal statement should contain lots of good reasons why you should be offered a place, so use it!
- Know your exam results: Whilst this might seem obvious, it’s easy to forget in a panic. Have your exam results next to you so you know exactly what you got for each subject. This will prevent any mistakes from occurring due to incorrect details.
- Know why you are applying: This involves doing some research beforehand. You should know all about the university you are contacting and why it is the right university for you. Read about the course content, take a look at subject league tables, and find out what other students think. There’s more to university than your course, so make sure you research things such as accommodation, support and the Students’ Union. If the call goes well you might be offered a place, so you’ll need to know whether you want to accept your offer. Whilst you can ask for time to think it over, the university may not be able to hold the place, so knowing what you want before you make the call will make it a lot easier!
- Prepare your questions: If you are unsure about anything, just ask. Preparing questions beforehand will ensure you don’t forget to ask them. It’s important that the university is right for you, so ask questions and make sure you feel comfortable in making your decision.
- Don’t forget a pen and paper: You’ll need to note down who you are speaking to and the outcome of the call to prevent any confusion.
And finally, good luck! The outcome of this phone call could inform the next three years of your life, so stay calm and ensure you make the right decision for you.
If you have any questions about the Clearing process please feel free to contact us, we’ll be more than happy to help.
T: 0808 164 2710