Recent highlights from Marketing Management

Marketing Management at the University of Chester enjoys excellent employability rankings and recently achieved 100% student satisfaction in the National Student Survey.  Here are some of the recent highlights that our students have enjoyed.

Students offer creative marketing insights to the UK’s No. 1 Zoo

Chester Zoo

As part of an annual link-up, first year students are kindly provided with the opportunity to visit Chester Zoo and research the creation of a new business concept.  Our students had a fantastic couple of days recently, and in teams pitched their ideas to the Head of Marketing: Caroline Sanger Davies, Sales Manager: Karolyn Curwell, and to staff from Chester Business School. 

There were three winning teams, and our students had a wonderful experience researching a live project, presenting and pitching their ideas, and working with one of the UK's largest tourist destinations, recently voted the UK's number one Zoo.

Chester Zoo

Chester Zoo

Chester Zoo

Chester Zoo

The winning team was Meerkats - Abbie and Lottie (the presenters) with staff from Chester Zoo and Chester Business School.

Chester Zoo

The runner-up was team Tortoise, with Team Bats coming in third.

Chester Zoo

Renowned marketing experts welcomed to Chester Business School

The Business School was pleased to host two Chartered Institute of Marketing events recently, providing students with professional insights from leaders in the field. 

Moving Pictures Speak a Thousand Words was the title of the first event, exploring video marketing in digital communications.  Speakers included Terry Smith, a Senior Lecturer in Marketing at the University of Chester, and co-author of Marketing Communications: A Brand Narrative Approach; Paul Heaton from Reform Creative, who focussed on fitting video marketing into an overall digital strategy; Joe Gosling from Bearded Fellows, who looked at innovative use of animation in communications; and Ian Sandall from SPL Communications, who discussed how ‘DIY video’ can work for you.

This was followed by an event exploring international marketing.

Going from developing a core UK business supplying the NHS, to tackling the US is quite an achievement. Director of BSA Marketing, Duncan Wright, gave an insight into how he has done this with his client Slõ Drinks; talking about the firm’s marketing strategy for targeting the US, using social media to build brand awareness within relevant clinical communities, and from there to develop the brand in the end user market, which is where the decision making is done in the States.

CIM

CIM

Students race against staff at Manley Mere

Teams of first year students took to the water to race against staff at Manley Mere, with an adventure trail and barbeque in the afternoon. This was a fun optional event for our students to enjoy, and to help them settle in.

Manley Mere

Manley Mere

From Student to Teacher!

Ashley Trzebiatowski, who graduated with a 2:1 degree in November 2015 explains how he has gone from student to staff member as he embarks on a career in teaching

Ashley

"Throughout my time at the University of Chester, I not only enjoyed my studies, but also felt a sense of belonging in this historic institution. Studying a Marketing degree at the University has equipped me with essential subject understanding and critical thinking skills.

"The University of Chester experience is something I would recommend to anyone hoping to study in a friendly, dynamic and motivational environment. The local feel of the University made me feel a part of Chester. With the city a short walk from most University sites, getting immersed in the Chester culture, history and nightlife is something I would recommend any student to do!

"The friends I made during my three years as a student have all gone on to further study, or began their careers in industry. I feel our final year, and particularly our dissertations, set the course for what we wanted to achieve post-graduation. I also found researching and writing my dissertation on marketing communications and consumer behaviour to be a hugely rewarding experience. The support and guidance I received from my dissertation supervisor is something I valued greatly.

"It was during my final year I realised my career goal of researching and teaching in Higher Education. I attribute this to my time studying in the Business School. Careers advice was essential to me at the University, and I began shadowing a senior lecturer, assisting with first year seminar groups.

"Since graduating with a 2:1 in November 2015, I have gone on to study my PGCE in Adult Education. Having been offered a placement year as a seminar tutor within the Business School, I get to see how the lecturers, management and support staff work hard to build an inclusive culture, where students can reach their full potential." 

Our Recent Graduates

Here is the Class of 2015 gathered on the steps of Chester Town Hall after a graduation ceremony to remember, set in the historic Chester Cathedral.  We wish all our graduates the very best of success as they start their new careers.

Graduates

Visit us

If you would like to find out more about this course and see what it is like to study and live at the University of Chester, take the opportunity to visit us. And if you have any questions about your visit, we’ll be happy to help.

Book Your Place

T: 01244 512800    E: visitus@chester.ac.uk