Your Career Can Happen All Over the World with Our Events Degree

The University of Chester was ranked 17th in the country for its Hospitality, Event Management & Tourism courses in the most recent Guardian League Tables, and aims to offer practical experience of the industry with employability at its core.

Hannah Clewley, aged 26, graduated with a First Class Honours Events Management degree from Chester in 2012. Find out how the experience she gained at Chester has led her to making stadium events happen all over the world.

“Since leaving the University of Chester I have been lucky enough to work in a variety of roles.  My first role was working for G4S on the 2012 Olympics, managing security and attrition for the football regions. From my course I had learnt topics such as crisis management and people management, which I applied in the day-to-day coordination of the security teams.

“Next I worked as an Events Manager within events agencies, managing the logistics of events from the venue, staffing and registration to website creation, accommodation, transport and budget management up to £600K.

“The events I have worked have been varied; from pharmaceutical congress meetings, exhibitions and retail roadshows to finance conferences, all for between 60 and 8,000 people, all over the world. 

“Part of the course at Chester allows you to organise and manage your own event and this was a huge benefit to my career as I had learnt to negotiate and communicate effectively with suppliers and manage a very tight budget. I was part of the Zest events team and we put on a ‘Viva Las Vegas’ event, raising the most amount of money for charity (Cancer Research UK) since the course started up.

“Chester is a small compact university situated within a beautiful historic city, so you still feel part of a community and are embraced, which I don’t think you would feel in a bigger inner city university, within London for example.

“The Events Management course provided me with a solid foundation for the industry and the volunteering opportunities, the Work Based Learning module and the management of my own event on the course really helped me put the theory I’d learnt in the classroom into practice.

“The lecturers would send round volunteering opportunities available and I helped on the Christmas light switch on and the Olympic Torch Relay during my time at Chester. My work-based learning took me to South Africa to work with the organisation Edge of Africa. While there, we worked on a series of events from the Pink Loerie Mardi Gras and Arts Festival to a fundraising football tournament which we organised for the Sinethemba Youth Club – this was my best memory of the University of Chester!

“The lecturers at Chester really helped me with the course – they were approachable and always willing to give you the time if you needed any help or advice.”

Want to Know More?

To find out more about the exciting journey that awaits you as an Events Management student at the University of Chester, feel free to contact Programme Leader Martin Metcalfe by emailing m.metcalfe@chester.ac.uk

Visit Us

To find out more about living and studying at the University of Chester, why not come and visit? There are lots of ways to visit us – just take a look at our website.

Our friendly staff, all of whom are events industry experts, will be pleased to show you around at one of our forthcoming campus visit days or open days. These are a great opportunity to find out more about the course, explore the Queen’s Park Campus, and get your questions answered.

Book Now